1967 born in Dublin
2017 Honorary Doctorate in Fine Art from The National University of Ireland
1992 Intensive Film Workshop, NYU, New York
1989 First Class Honours Degree, Fine Art, NCAD, Dublin
Lismore Castle, Waterford - Solo exhibition
Tom Tompson Gallery, Owen Sound, Canada
The Floating World - Three screen installation - VISUAL Carlow, Ireland
State of Suspension, Galerie Anita Beckers, Germany
The Wilderness Part 1, Royal Hibernian Academy, Dublin
The ice above, the fire below, and other works 2007 - 2009,
Limerick City Gallery of Art; Galerie Anita Beckers, Frankfurt
New Work, Fenton Gallery, Cork.
Solo Exhibition at Miguel Marcos Gallery, Barcelona
Metamorphosis, Houldsworth Gallery, London
Metamorphosis, Galerie Nichido Contemporary, Tokyo.
1999 –2003, Galeria Art Gaspar, & Galeria Cadaqués Dos, Barcelona
MediaScope, MoMA, New York
A Film Trilogy, Domus Artium DA 2, Salamanca, Spain;
Metropolitan Museum of Photography, and Nichido Contemporary, Tokyo,
A Film Trilogy, Royal Hibernian Academy, Dublin;
Mia Sundberg Galleri, Stockholm, Sweden; Fenton Gallery, Cork
Galleri Salvador Diaz, Madrid, Spain
Too dark for night, Green on Red Gallery, Dublin; Vedanta Gallery, Chicago, Fenton Gallery, Cork
Forty Below, Green On Red Gallery, Dublin
Track, Model Arts Centre, Sligo
Track, Hafnarburg Cultural Centre, Iceland; University of Salamanca, Spain;
Gallery of Photography, Dublin
Selected group shows
The Winter of 13 Storms, B3 Biennal of the Moving Image Frankfurt 2017 curated by Kelly Gordon & Anita Beckers A NAME UNMADE: FRANCIS LEDWIDGE (1887-1917), Solstice Arts Centre. River – 3 screen video installation curated by Sabina Mac Mahon
Städtische Galerie, Delmenhorst, Germany
B3 Biennial - Biennial of the Moving Image, Frankfurt, Germany.
Expanded Senses – exhibiting Flight from the City
TULCA – Festival of Visual Arts, Galway. Curator Mary Cremin
Moving Pictures, curated by Anita Beckers, at the Marburger Kunstverein
UNSEEN Photo Fair Amsterdam – 18th -21st September, with Galerie Anita Beckers Frankfurt
None Went Mad, None Ran Away, - Group Show Rubicon Gallery
In Search of the Miraculous; ten days of film video and photography, Crawford Off-site, curated by Rachael Thomas, IMMA
Destructiveness and Beauty, Norbert Frensch, Monica Ursina Jäger, Clare Langan. Galerie Anita Beckers, Frankfurt
State of Suspension - Gravity – Crawford Art Gallery, Cork Ireland
Inner Piece: Works from the Collection of Heather and Tony Podesta Katzen Center Museum, American University Museum.
The Wilderness, Part 1, Busan Biennale 2010, South Korea, curated by Takashi Azumaya.
For Real - 30 Utopian Projections in Public Space, curated by ViewMaster Foundation, The Netherlands.
Sounds and Visions, Art Film and Video from Europe, Museum of Modern Art, Tel Aviv – Representing Ireland. Curated by Angelo Gioè and Maria Rosa Sossai.
Dojima River Biennale 2009: Reflection: The World Through Art, From Singapore Biennale 2006, 2008 Curated by Fumio Nanjo & Kenji Kubota, Osaka, Japan
Goldstein Connections, Participating artists: Jack Goldstein, Gregor Hildebrandt, Clare Langan, Bjørn Melhus, Galerie Anita Beckers, Frankfurt
Highlights of KunstFilmBiennale, Cologne - Group Exhibition composed by Gabriele Horn & Heinz Peter Schwerfel. - KunstWerke, Berlin and Centre Pompidou, Paris
A Secret Understanding, touring exhibition programmed by Forma Arts.
The Best of LOOP 2008, Pacific Design Center, LA, curated by Paul Young
H20: Film on Water, Great River Arts, Vermont Connecticut, & Cynthia Reeves Gallery New York.
Then & Now: Evolving Art Practices, Lewis Glucksman Gallery, Cork
Terror and the Sublime: Art and Politics in an Age of Anxiety, from the IMMA Collection, The Crawford Art Gallery, Cork.
Adventures in Sound & Image; Panorama 1: I thought I was Hallucinating, Impakt Festival, Utrecht, The Netherlands
House Warming, RED South Dublin Art Centre.
The ice above, the fire below, Pulse New York 2009 – featured installation Galerie Anita Beckers.
Singapore Biennale, Curated by Fumio Nanjo, Joselina Cruz & Matthew Ngui.
Video Zone Festival, Braveman Gallery, Tel Aviv,
El agua y sus sueños contemporaneous, Expo Zaragoza 2008, Spain. Curated by Miguel Marcos & Fernando Castro-Flórez
Loop 08’ – Barcelona, Fundacio Miro, A Film Trilogy – The Collection of The Irish Museum of Modern Art curated by Enrique Juancosa.
Rendez-vous – curated by Isabelle Bertolotti, Shanghai Art Museum, China
Atlas of the Future - Visions of Scenarios to Come, - Palazzo Strozzi, Florence Courtesy of Galerie Anita Beckers, Frankfurt.
Becks Fusions,Trafalgar Square, Curated by ICA London.
Metamorphosis, Lyon Biennale, curated by Isabelle Bertolotti
Metamorphosis, Pratt Art Gallery, New York, curated by Berta Sichel.
Apocalypse, Candace Dawn Gallery, New York.
Group Exhibition, with Juame Plensa and Zhang Huan, Galerie Cadaques, Spain
Marking Time / Moving Images, Miami Art Museum, Florida, curated by Lorie Mertes
Vision Express, Shanghai Youth Biennale, Lui Hai Su Art Museum, by Fumio Nanjo
World Without End, Australian Centre for the Moving Image, Melbourne
Tir na Nog: Younger Irish Artists from the IMMA Collection, IMMA, Dublin
Views from an Island; Contemporary Art from Ireland, Millennium Museum Beijing, China;
Shanghai Gallery of Modern Art, Shanghai, China.
Panoramica, Arte Contemporáneo, Mexico City;
After Nature, CCA, Glasgow
The New Kunsthalle, Kunsthalle Mannheim, Germany
International 2002, Liverpool Biennial, Tate Liverpool
25th Bienal de Sao Paulo, Brazil (representing Ireland)
View Finder, curated by Catsou Roberts/ Stephen Hepworth, Arnolfini, Bristol
Greyscale/CMYK, curated by Rebecca Gordon Nesbitt, Tramway, Glasgow
The Mind is a Horse, Bloomberg Space, London
At Sea, curated by Victoria Pomery, Tate Liverpool,
Glen Dimplex Artists Award 2000, Irish Museum of Modern Art, Dublin
Selected film festivals
The Floating World – VIDEOFORMES 2014, Prix Videoformes 2014 | Conseil Général du Puy de Dôme
The Floating World – Premiere Kinoderkunst, Munich
The Floating World – The poetics of mountains, their mutations and multifarious things, ARTPROJX - Verbier, Switzerland
Vardeldur, by Sigur Ros - director Clare Langan – Short film made as part of The Valtari Mystery Film Experiment, London Film Festival at BFI
INVIDEO 2011, Milan, Italy – The Wilderness, Part 1
Metamorphosis – Oberhausen International Short Film Festival – Principle Prize
VIDEOFORMES 2014, Prix Videoformes 2014 | Conseil Général du Puy de Dôme
Oberhausen International Film Festival, Germany Premier Prize for Metamorphosis
1992 – 2014
Visual Arts Bursaries & Project Funding from The Arts Council of Ireland, & The Irish Film Board
Fulbright Scholarship to attend Intensive Film Workshop at N.Y.U.
• Tony & Heather Podesta Private Collection, Washington DC
• Hugo & Carla Brown, Private Collection
• Ernest Ventos I Omedes, Private Collection
• Irish Museum of Modern Art, Dublin
• Clarks Private Collection, UK
• Dublin Institute of Technology
• University College Dublin
• University College Cork
• Declan Long The Floating World, catalogue published for the exhibition at VISUAL
• Rachael Thomas, The ice above, the fire below, Expo Zaragoza 2008 Catalogue - El agua y sus sueños contemporaneous.
• Rachael Thomas, Through a Glass Darkly, 2007
• Aidan Dunne – Nowhere left for humanity to go, The Irish Times, 17/02/09
• Aidan Dunne, No Place to Stay, Clare Langan – A Film Trilogy, RHA, Dublin, 2003
• Christoph Grunenberg, International 2002, Liverpool Biennial 2002
• Christoph Grunenberg, Apocalypse Now, Clare Langan
- Too dark for night, Published on the occasion of Ireland’s participation in the 25th Bienal de Sao Paulo, Brazil, 2002
• Fiona Kearney, Representing Art in Ireland, The Fenton Gallery, 2008
• Aidan Dunne, Nowhere left to go for humanity, The Irish Times February 17th 2009
• Patrick T. Murphy, Too dark for night, - Paises, 25th Bienal de Sao Paulo, Iconografias Metropolitanas, 2002
• Patrick T. Murphy, Greyscale/CMYK, Tramway, Glasgow, 2002
• Stephen Hepworth and Catsou Roberts, View Finder, Arnolfini, Bristol, 2002
• Medb Ruane, Silent Witness to the Devouring Forces of Nature, Sunday Times, 2001
• Sarah Glennie, Glen Dimplex Artists’Award 2000, Irish Museum of Modern Art, 2000
• Patrick T. Murphy, Regarding Location, Clare Langan - Forty Below, Green on Red Gallery, Dublin, 1999
• Irish Times - Gemma Tipton. The Human Flock - Lismore Castle Arts August 2017
• The Irish Times – Aidan Dunne 21/04/14
• Island Odyssey - Art and Context by Joan Fowler April 2015
• Cristin Leach – Various